President Trump told reporters the carrier was already moving out of the
region and would be replaced by another vessel of a similar type. He also said
that families of the roughly 5,000 sailors and Marines aboard the ship have no
reason for concern, despite weeks of reporting on strained conditions at sea. The Nimitz-class carrier left its home port
of San Diego, California, in November 2025 and has logged over 250 days at
sea. Senator Richard Blumenthal, a
Democrat from Connecticut, said the deployment has gone over 200 days without a
single port call, the longest such stretch on record for a Navy carrier.
5,000 sailors and Marines serve aboard the Lincoln,
which was commissioned in 1989 as the fifth of the Navy’s 10 Nimitz-class
ships.
Many websites reported this week that several sailors had attempted to
jump overboard during the deployment, citing interviews with family members and
active-duty crew.
A Navy official said the service has not recorded an increase in
suicidal ideation or attempts aboard the ship and that internal tracking of
such reports has declined in recent months.
The Navy confirmed that one sailor went overboard earlier this month and
was recovered and treated, though officials have not disclosed the
circumstances surrounding the incident.
200 family members met Acting Navy Secretary at a town hall in San Diego
last week to raise concerns over safety and mail delays aboard the carrier.
According to some reports sailors have faced shortages of basic supplies, water
contamination, plumbing failures and repeated disruptions to mail delivery. The
United States Secretary of Defence called the reports “completely
misrepresented” and said that every ship and crew receives the resources the
Navy can provide. The Navy denied
similar reports in April, when questions about conditions aboard the Lincoln
first surfaced, and US Secretary of Defence dismissed them at the time.
The Navy has ordered the aircraft carrier USS George Washington,
homeported in Yokosuka, Japan, to head toward the Middle East as the Lincoln’s
replacement, a US official said on condition of anonymity.
The George Washington completed a port visit in
Vietnam on August 5 before turning toward the Middle East. The official said
the redeployment had been planned before the current controversy began, though
no arrival date for the carrier has been announced.
The Lincoln has operated under US Central Command
since being redirected to the region in January to support American operations
against Iran, now in its sixth month.