Iran’s Tasnim News
Agency reported that the tanker had allegedly drifted away from the approved
shipping lane before striking the mine in the strategic waterway. There was no
immediate information on casualties, the identity of the vessel, or the extent
of the damage. Citing an informed source, Mehr News Agency said the vessel
deviated from the designated route before hitting the explosive device. The incident comes amid heightened
tensions in the region following Iran’s warning on June 26 that vessels
transiting the Strait of Hormuz must use routes designated by Tehran’s
military. Earlier this week, the Islamic Revolutionary Guard
Corps (IRGC) claimed that three oil tankers attempted to use an unauthorised
route in the southern part of the Strait. According to the IRGC, one tanker
struck an explosive device and caught fire, while the other two vessels turned
back. Iranian authorities warned that ships transiting the Strait without prior
coordination would face similar consequences. The
latest explosion follows another reported incident on July 14, when the IRGC
said it disabled two oil tankers after they allegedly ignored military
warnings, switched off their navigation systems, and entered a mined corridor
outside the designated shipping route. The
Strait of Hormuz remains one of the world’s most critical maritime chokepoints,
handling a significant share of global oil exports.